Re: NLS/strerror efficiency

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:58:01 +0100
El 2010. 01. 24. 10:19, Peter Jeremy escribió:
> I think this is a good start but still needs some work.  One issue is
> that the patch mixes whitespace changes (some not complying with
> style(9)) and functional changes.  This makes it harder to see the
> functional changes.

I thought fixing up some style(9) nits was ok but I meant them to be
compliant with style(9). Could you please point out, which are not
compliant? Shall I revert the style(9) changes for now?
> How much of an issue is this in reality?  There are two cases to
> consider:
> 1) A process that dynamically changes its locale.
> 2) Locale files being updated whilst the process is running.
>
> The first can be worked around by also caching the current locale
> and checking that it hasn't changed.

I'll fix up my patch to do that.
> The second is more problematic - particularly for long-running
> programs.  Maybe add a timestamp and re-check every minute or 5.

I agree, that it should track changing catalogs but do we really want
that? Catalogs are usually bundled with third-party apps and if you
update something you obviously want to restart that. And in the case of
strerror(3), catalogs are supposed to be updated with libc and when you
update libc you probably want to restart everything.

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer

EMAIL: gabor_at_FreeBSD.org .:|:. gabor_at_kovesdan.org
WEB:   http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gabor .:|:. http://kovesdan.org