Re: JFYI: VirtualBox stable/unstable setteings +nvidia amd64 (3.1.2 OSE - GOOD NEWS) - The freeze is GONE ! [was: JFYI: VirtualBox stable/unstable setteings (3.0.51.r22902)]

From: Mario Lobo <lobo_at_bsd.com.br>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:01:31 -0300
On Wednesday 23 December 2009 02:29:33 Daichi GOTO wrote:
>> In a month, I have been tried to investigate FreeBSD system
>> stable/unstable situations and factors around VirtualBox
>> bacause frequently my VirtualBox let FreeBSD freeze, panic
>> and fatal trap.

[Snip.]

> What I have found out in all the time I've been testing is that, at least on
> my system here, the problem with VBox/Nvidia IS definitely with OpenGL.

> If I leave the KDE composite option as XRENDER, I can open up to 6 VMs
> without any freeze. All of them with 2 CPUs, 3D accel enabled an all. But
> all I need to do to freeze the machine is to start ANY OpenGL app and let it
> run for about a minute. It can even be one of the GL screensavers. It is a
> guarantied freeze !

> I have tried all sorts of combinations: nvidia.ko last, vboxdrv.ko last, no
> linux.ko, with powerd, no powerd, etc..., etc... No matter what, if it
> involves OpenGL, bang !! if it doesn't, it's OK.

Sorry for the long subject !.

Machine:

OS: FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0 r198930M: Sat Dec 12 12:49:49 BRT 2009
MB: AOD790GX/128M
VB: nvidia0: <GeForce 9800 GT> on vgapci0
RAM: 8 G
CPU: Phenom 955 black

(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 195.22 Mon Nov 30 14:03:12 posix/SystemV/PST
2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs

X: X.Org X Server 1.6.1
KDE: 4.3.4 with OpenGl composite enabled

VBOX: 3.1.2 OSE

Stability is back!. No more host freezes !

I found out that compiling the nvidia driver WITHOUT the linux_emulation
option did it! The instability and freeze issue with vbox+openGL active is
GONE!

As you can see on attached image, I have started:

2 XP
1 Win7 32
1 Win7 64
1 Fedora

Plus a few other kde apps.

Before doing this, if I started only one of the win7 VM, my host would
freeze!.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br