A strange thing with yesterday's head..

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_lakerest.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:30:37 -0800
All:

I just found a very strange thing with yesterdays head.

The program

http://www.freebsd.org/~rrs/my_thr.c

I compile it:

cc -g -o my_thr my_thr.c /usr/lib/libthr.a -lpthread

Now when you run this on a 2 core 64 bit machine running X11 with
yesterday
AM's current. The machine appears to lock completely. It really has
not give
it time and it will chug along.. but the mouse disappears etc... as if
its locked.

It takes quite some time to complete .. and every now and then a
hickup will occur
and you get a slight response..

Now I took this code home and ran it on my 4core AMD (2.8Gig with real
AMD cores). And
it did NOT do the same.. but ran like you would expect it to.

I then took the same code running on an identical 8.0 release machine
and ran it
and it worked like you would expect..

It looks like some change in the scheduler in head is not doing good
things.

Note my 4 core is behind the 2 core.. so it may not be core count
related.. when
I get off work today and get home I will do a update and see if the 4
core starts
behaving badly too...

Randall Stewart
803-317-4952 (cell)