Re: RFC: etcupdate tool in base?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:21:51 -0400
On Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:46:59 pm John Baldwin wrote:
> I've had several folks ask me recently about importing etcupdate
> (http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/etcupdate) into the base system as an alternate
> tool for updating /etc during upgrades.  Do folks have any strong objections
> to doing so?  More details about how it works and an HTML version of the
> manpage can be found at the URL above.

I finally committed a port to ports/sysutils/etcupdate for this today.  If at
some point lots of folks call for an import we can revisit this then.  One
small advantage of importing is that we could have make release automatically
bootstrap it similar to how we do now for mtree databases (I do this in my
FooBSD at work, it is a one-line patch to the release Makefile).

--
John Baldwin