[HEADSUP] ZFS version 15 committed to head

From: Martin Matuska <mm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:02:42 +0200
 Dear community,

as you may have noticed, ZFS v15 support with many bugfixes was
committed to head in revision 209962.
The commit was tagged for MFC, so if there are no stopper issues I am
going to commit it to stable/8 in 2 months from today.

Here is a short summary of what we gained with this update:

1. Stability - more mature ZFS code, comparable to Solaris 10 update 8
with latest bugfixes
2. Compatibility - Solaris 10 update 8 default ZFS pools can now be
imported into FreeBSD
3. Features - user and group quotas (ZFS-internal) are very useful for
intranet fileservers that want to use ZFS
4. Speed - my real-world benchmarks give a 15-20% RPS yield in PHP
webserver workloads with codebase on ZFS

I would like to thank everybody who helped testing the upgrade before it
got commited.
For the future, it would be very nice to reply not only to my e-mail but
to the mailing list, too, so we can share the experience with others.

For people interested in running this on 8.1 I will provide patches for
releng/8.1 and stable/8 as soon as 8.1 gets released.

Feel free to test everything and don't forget to report any bugs found.

Cheers,
mm