Re: BSD grep fixes

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:26:59 +0000
On 7/28/10, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Em 2010.07.27. 5:59, b. f. escreveu:

> Thanks for bringing this up, I'll take a look and try to implement the
> same behaviour. And I will also document the behaviour.

I don't think that the current behavior of bsdgrep is necessarily bad
-- in fact it seems to me to be simple and intuitive: nothing is
excluded or included implicitly, and (I think) the last match wins,
unlike in gnu grep.  I mention it only because it is different, and
you may want to consider how closely you want it to mimic the behavior
of gnu grep for the sake of compatibility.  If bsdgrep already passed
a ports exp-run, and build/installworld now work without any problems,
then it may be simpler to just retain the current behavior.  Either
way, though, the effect of overlapping --(in|ex)clude(-dir) options
should be explicitly mentioned in the manpage.  Thank you, by the way,
for your efforts to provide us with good BSD-licensed tools.  I hope
that you can find the time and energy to continue with the iconv,
regex, and other text-processing tool improvements.

b.