Re: Importing clang/LLVM into FreeBSD HEAD

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 23:33:45 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <AANLkTikX-VNFgZUVH4-cEviKDjSLqqJRAhjevDQD-kfl_at_mail.gmail.com>
            Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com> writes:
: On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM, M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > In message: <20100531161713.GA60782_at_freebsd.org>
:
: [...]
:
: > There's more context here too.  To improve the support of various
: > architectures, we're planning on doing two things.  First, we're
: > updating binutils to the latest gplv2 version.  This will solve many
: > problems.  There's some other plans in this area as well, but the
: > summary is basically integrating some important vendor patches.
: > Second, we're planning to have the ability to use an external, perhaps
: > vendor supplied, tool chain.  You can kludge this together today, but
: > it is tedious and difficult.
:
: This in and of itself is an interesting prospect. Why would happen if
: one could drop in icc for instance :) (I realize that it's basically
: gcc-compatible, but can this be done today without a lot of rework and
: effort)?

This is more about dropping in different assemblers, linkers, etc,
than picking icc.  CC=xxx is relatively easy.  It gets harder if you
don't want to use the in-tree toolchain.  Especially when cross
building...

Warner