Re: BSDCan Toolchain Summit Summary

From: Peter Jeremy <peter_at_vk2pj.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:54:24 +1000
On 2010-May-31 17:57:32 -0500, Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>http://wiki.freebsd.org/201005ToolchainSummitSummary
>
>This includes a rough draft of a roadmap.  We need to convert this into
>a roadmap page with each required feature listed along with status and
>contacts.

Thank you for that.  The approach seems reasonable and importing
clang/llvm is a good first step.

One item that doesn't seem to have been mentioned elsewhere is the the
other *BSD Projects - presumably they would also be interested in a
BSD-licensed toolchain.  Have there been any discussions with
representatives from other Projects to investigate a common/shared
path forward?  I believe that the *BSD's are all similar enough that
they could share a common toolchain with minimal local adaptions.  The
benefit for FreeBSD is that a larger userbase will further encourage
"vendor" support.  As a second-order effect, the more diverse users
that clang/llvm has, the faster bugs will be found (and hopefully
fixed).

--
Peter Jeremy