Re: 'buildworld' not always pulling in /etc/src.conf

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:39:05 -0700
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 06/04/10 10:46, Alexander Best wrote:
>
>> src.conf should ALWAYS take priority over make.conf when
>> buildworld or buildkernel is being run.
>>

> Defining the same variables in different contexts is always a recipe for
> the dreaded "unpredictable results." Even if it were possible to create the
> proper rules to enforce what you're asking for allowing users to rely on it
> would just be encouraging bad habits.

Wouldn't it be great, if /etc/make.conf disappeared completely?

To be replaced by /etc/src.conf for buildworld/kernel stuff.

And /etc/ports.conf for ports building stuff.

With no linkage of any kind between the two, with all the "magic" hidden in
/usr/ports/Mk and /usr/share/Mk.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but wouldn't it make things a lot simpler in the long
run?

One could set all the weird and wonderful CPU* variables they want in
/etc/ports.conf, and leave /etc/src.conf as generic as possible, without
worrying about how one affects the other.  Then you get a nice optimised app
installation env, with a nice stable base.

Seems like the next logical progression now that src.conf has appeared.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash_at_gmail.com