Re: [INFO]: import of clang/LLVM to happen on June 9th

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:38:43 -0700
On 06/04/10 11:28, Andrius Morkūnas wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 20:52:32 +0300, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about compiling ports with clang
>> (which I also look forward to someday) I'm talking about installing a
>> version of gcc from ports and using that to compile all the other ports.
>
> I'm even more confused now. What does that have to do with clang import?

I didn't say it did. I said "I'd like to see ..." I have no power to
mandate anything. :)  The connection in MY mind is that once we start
down the road of making the idea of "compiler/toolchain" more flexible,
it's probably a good idea to also start down the road of "ports
compiler" and "base compiler." I'm not sure I can invest the time to
work on the "clang for the base" side of it, but I am pretty sure I can
work on the "compiler for ports" side. Not to mention that I'd like to
see if the new compiler makes any difference on my newish CPU.

I'd also like to see this issue get a little more attention since it's
something that all FreeBSD users can participate in, not just those
running -current.

> but there's already a tutorial about changing ports compiler to newer
> version of gcc[1].
>
> So what am I missing here?
>
> [1]
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/custom-gcc/configuring-ports-gcc.html

That's just what I was looking for, thanks!

			-- Propellerheads