Re: [INFO]: import of clang/LLVM to happen on June 9th

From: jhell <jhell_at_dataix.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 21:27:04 -0400
On 06/04/2010 12:59, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 06/04/10 08:26, Roman Divacky wrote:
>> Dear current_at_
>>
>> On June 9th, we are importing clang/LLVM into FreeBSD HEAD.
>
> Excellent news! :)  I am in favor of this, and look forward to a day of
> using a FreeBSD system compiled as much as possible with clang.
>
> During the ongoing discussion there were 2 items identified that I was
> particularly interested in, and I personally would like to see those
> items resolved before the clang import:
>
> 1. Have uname report the compiler (and compiler version?) that the
> kernel was compiled with. This can likely be done through newvers.sh
> easily enough.

IMHO, With all due respect, Adding CLANG to uname ? This would only
leave it to be useless information later on when we finally jettison gcc
out of base.

How about this. Create a sysctl kern.compilers and set it to be a read
only. Assign a value system to the compilers that can be used.

1 = gcc
3 = clang/llvm
5 = other

4 = gcc+clang
6 = gcc+other
8 = clang+other
9 = one strange environment.

etc... etc... etc...

Then you can still have newvers.sh generate something for inclusion that
would set the final value of that sysctl.

> 2. Publish instructions on how to set up a different compiler for ports.

This should not stop the import.

> I realize that what you're talking about in this announcement is simply
> importing clang into the build, not using it to build anything yet.
> However my concern is that if we don't attend to these 2 issues sooner
> than later that they will get lost in the shuffle.
>
> In any case, congratulations on the progress the clang team has made so
> far, and on this new milestone. :)
>

> Doug

Regards,

--