Re: RFC: New event timers infrastructure

From: Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:06:06 -0500
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <ozawa_at_t-oza.net> wrote:
> 2010/6/6, Alexander Motin <mav_at_freebsd.org>:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Most of x86 systems now has at least 4 types of event timers: i8254,
>> RTC, LAPIC and HPET. Respective code in kernel is very tangled, heavily
>> hardcoded and absolutely not scalable. I have reimplemented it, trying
>> to solve these issues.
>>
>> I did such things:
>>  - created unified timer driver's API (sys/timeet.h, kernel/kern_et.c).
>> It supports global and per-CPU timers, periodic and one-shot. Provides
>> driver and consumer interfaces for choosing timers and operating them;
>>  - cleaned existing x86 event timer driver's code and modified it for
>> new API (x86/isa/atrtc.c, x86/isa/clock.c, x86/x86/local_apic.c). LAPIC
>> timer is now per-CPU and supports both periodic and one-shot modes;
>>  - extended HPET driver to support it's event timers in periodic and
>> one-shot mode (dev/acpica/acpi_hpet.c). Support for per-CPU operation
>> and FSB interrupts planned for later;
>>  - written mostly machine-independent mid-layer for managing any present
>> timers to provide clocks needed for kernel (x86/x86/timeevents.c). It
>> supports both global and per-CPU timers. Now it supports only periodic
>> mode, but one-shot mode support planned for later.
>>
>> All this stuff deeply configurable via both loader tunables on boot and
>> sysctls in real time:
>>
>> %sysctl kern.eventtimer
>> kern.eventtimer.choice: LAPIC(500) HPET(400) HPET1(390) HPET2(390)
>> i8254(100) RTC(0)
>> kern.eventtimer.et.LAPIC.flags: 7
>> kern.eventtimer.et.LAPIC.frequency: 99752386
>> kern.eventtimer.et.LAPIC.quality: 500
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET.flags: 3
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET.frequency: 14318180
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET.quality: 400
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET1.flags: 3
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET1.frequency: 14318180
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET1.quality: 390
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET2.flags: 3
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET2.frequency: 14318180
>> kern.eventtimer.et.HPET2.quality: 390
>> kern.eventtimer.et.RTC.flags: 1
>> kern.eventtimer.et.RTC.frequency: 32768
>> kern.eventtimer.et.RTC.quality: 0
>> kern.eventtimer.et.i8254.flags: 1
>> kern.eventtimer.et.i8254.frequency: 1193182
>> kern.eventtimer.et.i8254.quality: 100
>> kern.eventtimer.timer2: NONE
>> kern.eventtimer.timer1: i8254
>> kern.eventtimer.singlemul: 2
>>
>> By default system chooses two timers with highest "quality" for
>> hardclock and statclock/profclock. User may affect that choice via
>> disabling unwanted drivers and/or via direct specification of wanted
>> ones. It is possible to change timers on-flight via sysctls:
>>
>> %sysctl kern.eventtimer.timer1=hpet
>> kern.eventtimer.timer1: i8254 -> HPET
>> %sysctl kern.eventtimer.timer2=hpet1
>> kern.eventtimer.timer2: NONE -> HPET1
>>
>> After every timer change, if two timers available, mid-layer
>> cross-checks them, and if one of them is not functional - replaces it.
>>
>> If there is no second timer available, or user specified to not use it -
> [...]

This is an exciting advance for FreeBSD, and I'm looking forward to
testing the new infrastructure code.

Alexander, do you feel that the code is at a stage where meaningful
user testing can occur?

Tsuyoshi, will you be providing code to Alexander to integrate into
his patch(es), or will your development continue as a separate effort?

Thank you both so much for taking on this task!

-Brandon