Re: RFC: etcupdate tool in base?

From: jhell <jhell_at_dataix.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:36:11 -0400
On 06/10/2010 13:46, John Baldwin wrote:
> I've had several folks ask me recently about importing etcupdate
> (http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/etcupdate) into the base system as an alternate
> tool for updating /etc during upgrades.  Do folks have any strong objections
> to doing so?  More details about how it works and an HTML version of the
> manpage can be found at the URL above.

Though I love the idea, I think the proper approach "please dont get me
wrong" would be to move it into /usr/src/tools/ somewhere and create a
makefile that when run just creates a symlink to it in a predetermined
directory allowing folks to not really have it installed yet still
update it for critical fixes while they are found without a re-install
of it.

MIB: +1 year

Regards,

--