Re: [CFT] BSDL iconv in base system

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:10:49 +0200
> Are there any plans to resurrect/finish multibyte collation support
> GSoC'2008 project:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation

Yes, my queue is just so long that I haven't got there yet. I'm in SoC
2010 again with a different project and there's still BSD grep from SoC
2008. I'm also fixing the last nits of that. And there are also personal
things, like a one-year internship in Portugal, which is going to start
in September. But I hope once I'll find time or this.
> And are you aware of any plans on adding utf8-aware regex? I think
> NetBSD has already imported one:
> http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/efficient_wide_character_regular_expressions

Yes, again but same issues. :) Besides, we need/should add a more
relaxed regex support to TRE before we can adopt it. GNU regex allows
things like [a|], which is not standard, so we should support them to
maintain compatibility. This will be important for ports. This is also
the reason why BSD grep is linked to GNU regex instead of libc-regex.

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer

EMAIL: gabor_at_FreeBSD.org .:|:. gabor_at_kovesdan.org
WEB:   http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gabor .:|:. http://kovesdan.org