devd and/or ACPI not reporting a heat problem

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:04:24 -0700
Howdy,

I thought my heat problems were over with this laptop thanks to all the
great suggestions I've received about powerd, no stepping, etc. (I also
propped up both the back and the front to make a nice big air pocket.)
I've always been pretty religious about blowing the dust off the fans
and heat sinks, but I guess it's been dustier than I thought lately
because I finally "caught" my laptop doing what it's been doing for the
last 2 weeks, which is (occasionally) powering down when it was
unattended; and the problem was heat.

Of course I've been running devd all along, and so I initially ruled out
the heat problem due to this entry in devd.conf:

# Notify all users before beginning emergency shutdown when we get
# a _CRT or _HOT thermal event and we're going to power down the system
# very soon.
notify 10 {
         match "system"          "ACPI";
         match "subsystem"       "Thermal";
         match "notify"          "0xcc";
         action "logger -p kern.emerg 'WARNING: system temperature too
high, shutting down soon!'";
};

I'm not getting any of those notices in the logs, so I was looking other
places. (I do get other ACPI-related activity from devd, such as the
notice that it's going on and off AC power.)

So, 2-part question, how can I make sure that devd gets the message, and
how do I make sure that the notice comes _before_ the BIOS forces the
system to power off. I.e., I'd like to have some sort of devd notice
that comes in time to do a clean shutdown, or perhaps some other
mitigation strategy prior to the BIOS taking over.

Any

			-- Propellerheads