Re: how to set up UTF8 russian in -current?

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:45:30 +0200
* Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> My system is amd64 r209195.
>
> I was wondering if the user localisation
> section of the handbook is a bit out of date:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-localization.html
>
> The handbook suggests using cons25r, whereas
> the default console type in /etc/ttys is now xterm.
> And keeping cons25r together with relevant fonts,
> screenmap and keymap in /etc/rc.conf doesn't seem
> to work anymore.
>
> Also, the latest I can find on UTF8 in FreeBSD
> is this thread:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009349.html
>
> I tried to follow the advice given in this thread,
> namely I've rebuilt the kernel with TEKEN_UTF8
> (it seems the other option mentioned, TEKEN_XTERM, is no
> longer valid), and set LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.UTF-8
> in my shell. This didn't seem to have any effect.

Even though UTF-8 support for the console is closer than it used to be,
it's still not useful in practice, since syscons won't display it. I
guess if you want to get Russian working on HEAD, you should do the
following:

- Don't set TEKEN_* in your kernel configuration file.
- Just use the xterm terminal type in /etc/ttys.
- Set LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.{CP1251,CP866,ISO8859-5,KOI8-R}.
- Load a font for Syscons which uses the same character as the one you
  chose above.

So this means 8-bit character sets is the best thing we can do right
now.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/