Re: Anyone running GNOME on 9-CURRENT? How do you convince evolution-data-server to build?

From: Andrew Reilly <areilly_at_bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:57:06 +1000
Hi there,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 06:57:56AM +0800, Buganini wrote:
> I'm using it without problem,
> do you have any of *_HEIMDAL or *_KERBEROS in make.conf/src.conf?

No.  The problem, as far as I can tell, is that the search for
krb5 in the configure script tests three options, (mit, heimdal
and sun) all of which fail.  The heimdal test *should* have
succeeded, because the linker flags are (correctly) generated by
a call to `/usr/bin/krb5-config gssapi --libs` (this is one of the
port patches against the up-stream script.

The problem is that those flags haven't actually worked for
quite a while (on my system, anyway).  Vis:

configure:16119: cc -o conftest -O2 -pipe -g -DLDAP_DEPRECATED -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/db4
1  -L/usr/local/lib -pthread  conftest.c  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -lgssapi -lheimntlm -lkrb5 -lhx509 -lcom_err -lcrypto -lasn1 -lro
ken -lcrypt >&5
/usr/lib/libhx509.so: undefined reference to `MD2_Init'
/usr/lib/libhx509.so: undefined reference to `MD2_Final'
/usr/lib/libhx509.so: undefined reference to `MD2_Update'
configure:16119: $? = 1

Now what I don't understand is why the linker fails to find
those symbols, given that they *are* defined in libcrypto,
which is also listed on the linker command line there.  I
suspect that it has something to do with the way that shared
libraries are constructed: they seem to contain their own list
of dependencies, and somehow /usr/lib/libhx509.so.10 does *not*
know that it depends on /lib/libcrypto.so.6 (ldd shows only a
dependency on /lib/libc.so.7).

I regret that I don't know enough linker fu or make
infrastructure fu to know where to suggest a tweak, but I
believe that the necessary tweak is to the base system build of
libhx509.so, rather than the ports in question.

What I *really* don't understand is why this seems to be working
for everyone else...  (My system was last re-built from csup'd
source on Thursday 17 June, by the way, so it's not out of
date.)

Cheers,

--
Andrew