Re: Having a problem with security/libassuan-1 when compiling gnupg.

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:03:02 -0700
> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:56:35 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
>
> [ FYI, this message should have gone to freebsd-ports_at_FreeBSD.org ... ]
>
> On 06/17/10 11:20, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > 2.0.0 should be the preferred version, but its API is incompatible with
> > the old one. Many ports using libassuan (listed in UPDATING) have not
> > been updated to support V2, so the libassuan-1 port was created.
> >
> > As soon as deskutils/kdepim4 and security/{dirmngr|gnupg|gpa|opensc} are
> > updated, there will be a need to move to 2.0.0.
>
> Well, I just made it a lot worse. :)  As Kevin points out here, the new
> version of libassuan is not compatible with the old. This decision on
> the part of the gnupg folks has its merits, but is unarguably
> inconvenient during the transition.
>
> On May 11th I approached the authors of the ports that depend on
> libassuan asking about their plans for updating (minus ale_at_
> unfortunately, opensc's dependency is conditional, thus I missed it
> until I grep'ed the tree instead of relying on INDEX). The status of the
> affected ports is as follows:
> 1. gnupg	Already handled because 2.0.15 required the update
> 2. dirmngr	They had an RC ready to go, which they released after I poked
> them a bit. :)
>
> So these first 2 are now done.
>
> 3. kdepim4	My understanding is that the version currently under
> development has support for libassuan 2.0.0, and will be released in
> August. The kde_at_ folks have indicated that if there is a need to update
> it sooner they can most likely do that based on patches that are
> currently available.
> 4. gpa		The svn version supports assuan 2.0.0, but the release of this
> new version has not yet been scheduled.
> 5. opensc	ale_at_ has indicated that he would prefer to wait to update his
> port until a new version that supports assuan 2.0.0 is released.
>
>  > I am unsure what happens when some ports want v1 and others want v2.
>  > This may not be an issue if the updated ports can be deal with either
>  > API, but I have no idea whether that is the case.
>
> The current situation is that having both versions installed is
> incompatible. My preference would be that the maintainers of the
> affected ports upgrade to depend on assuan 2.0.0 and then we can remove
> libassuan-1. If it becomes necessary to support having both versions
> installed then "Plan C" at this point would be to modify libassuan-1 to
> support this.

OK. I see dirmgr and gnupg are now ready for libausaan V2.0.0, but I
also have opensc installed and MUST have it working. If I upgrade to
libassuan-2.0.0, will that break opensc? I assume, since it was not a
shared library, that this will not be a problem, but I wanted to be
sure.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)