Re: [HEADS UP] Kernel modules don't work properly in FreeBSD 8.1-RC1

From: Kris Moore <kris_at_pcbsd.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:18:53 -0400
On 06/23/2010 10:55, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not unless there is a bug in my module. I'm a little bit busy right now,
> though I think that other modules like "fuse.ko" might be affected aswell.
>
> Could you try to make a cuse4bsd build on a stock 8-stable and compare the
> resulting cuse4bsd.ko (i386 build) like described earlier in this thread.
>
> Or something like this:
>
> objdump -D -x cuse4bsd.ko>  a.txt
> objdump -D -x cuse4bsd.ko>  b.txt
>
> diff -u a.txt b.txt

I'll have to try that on another system, all amd64 here, and rebuilding
the port gives identical cuse4bsd.ko to what we already include in system.

> What compiler did you bundle with the PCBSD 8.1 RC1 and how did you build the
> cuse4bsd ports module? Did you use something like clang?

The system is just regular FreeBSD 8.1-RC1, no clang or other funky make
options.

The port was built with in a chroot environment with the stock FreeBSD
8.1-RC1 loaded in it.

> I haven't checked too much yet, but it appears that like Andriy is reporting
> that it's not a problem for everyone. When booting PCBSD 8.1 RC1 you will see
> warnings from the webcamd rc.d.
>
> --HPS

Yea, i see the error messages here as well, but only on my laptop. My
desktops use the same build, but don't throw the error, even though
cuse4bsd is loaded. (Of course they don't have a webcam connected, which
I'm sure is part of it)

--
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software