Re: Coming back to the btxld: No such file or directory installworld error

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:16:24 +0400
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:27:41PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:14:59PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> >> Hi Ruslan,
> >>     I've run into this particular error twice now in the past couple
> >> of weeks when building with -j24 on a memory disk and I was wondering
> >> if there was an missing dependency / race somewhere or something
> >> (perhaps make obj?):
> >>
> >> ===> sys/boot/i386/boot2 (install)
> >> # ...
> >> btxld -v -E 0x2000 -f bin -b
> >> /usr/obj/scratch/freebsd/current/sys/boot/i386/boot2/../btx/btx/btx -l
> >> boot2.ldr  -o boot2.ld -P 1 boot2.bin
> >> btxld: No such file or directory
> >> *** Error code 1
> >
> > The "install" target isn't supposed to build stuff, only install it.
> > When you see it trying to build something, this can be indicative of:
> >
> > - build wasn't run (e.g., after an update);
>
> Not the case (I ran buildworld and everything else up to that point
> installed happily).
>
> > - a computer's date/time is set to the past (causing wrong date/time
> >  to be set on output files => causing them to be considered out-of-
> >  date by make(1)); check with date(1).
>
> My computer hasn't been time traveling lately :/ ("If my calculations
> are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're
> gonna see some serious shit.").
>
> > - source files have modification times pointing to the future which
> >  fools make(1) into thinking that it should rebuild some target;
> >  check with "find /usr/src -mtime -0".
>
> This seems unlikely as well.

Did you actually check that?  (Date/time on source files can be
set by CVSup servers...)

> Is there a possibility that the existing Makefiles work by accident
> when -j < 24 because the actions aren't executed in order :(?

"install" isn't supposed to build stuff.  The only exception I could
remember of is timezone data files, plus some .db files.  I strongly
suggest checking the date/time of your computer and source files.

If it's really okay, then check the following: run -j24 build, then
run "make -C /usr/src/sys/boot -nn" -- if you see that it wants to
build something, then this is a problem we should look into and try
to fix.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov