Re: Patch for rc.d/devd on FreeBSD 9-current

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:18:25 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 06/26/10 13:29, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sometimes utilities that are started by devd require libraries outside
>>> /usr/lib. One example is the webcamd utility which is started by devd upon USB
>>> device insertion. What do you think about the following patch:
>>>
>>> --- devd        (revision 209463)
>>> +++ devd        (local)
>>> _at__at_ -4,7 +4,7 _at__at_
>>>  #
>>>
>>>  # PROVIDE: devd
>>> -# REQUIRE: netif
>>> +# REQUIRE: netif ldconfig
>>>  # BEFORE: NETWORKING mountcritremote
>>>  # KEYWORD: nojail shutdown
>>
>> ldconfig requires mountcritremote, so this patch would introduce a
>> circular dependency.
>
>    Should ldconfig require mountcritlocal instead?

The operating theory is that we want to provide robust support for
/usr/local not mounted locally. (And yes, I get the irony there.) :)

What could be done is a 2-pass ldconfig, as is done for some other
services. However if I understood the OP's problem correctly, that
may not help here because devd is trying to start something that is in
/usr/local.

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso