Re: Problem with new bwn driver on -CURRENT

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:50:43 -0500
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 15:37 -0800, Weongyo Jeong wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 03:24:28PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I was extremely pleased to see this driver, so I could get off of the
> > flaky NDIS version.  I have a Dell Vostra 2510 with a LP bwn mini-PCI
> > card.  I have set if_bwn_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf.  I also have
> > bwn_v4_lp_ucode_load="YES" set.
> >
> > The firmware and driver loads.  However, if_bwn doesn't attach to the
> > card.  Once the OS is fully booted, I kldunload if_bwn, then reload it,
> > and the driver attaches just fine.
>
> This issue is reported by some people and I'm looking codes.

Good to know.

> > Once it is attached, however, I can
> > pass traffic just fine, but I get a large number of these messages on
> > the console, and the traffic rate is not what it was with the NDIS
> > driver:
>
> Could you please elaborate the traffic rate?  You mean the traffic rate
> is lower or higher than NDIS driver?

The throughput with the if_bwn driver is less than with the ndis driver.
It associates at 11g (36 Mbps), but the RTT is longer.  This is
noticeable with apps like VNC.  The redraw is noticeably slower (line by
line) than it was ndis.  Low throughput apps like SSH work more or less
the same.

> > bwn0: out of bounds of the square-root table (-770884)
> > bwn0: out of bounds of the square-root table (-225625)
> > bwn0: out of bounds of the square-root table (-240100)
>
> Patch is attached with email and it'll fix this message.  Could you
> please test with it?

Yes, the patch removes those messages.  Thanks!

> Was it successful to associate with AP?

Yes, in DMA mode.  In PIO mode, it associates, but does not pass any
traffic.  After a while, there was a critical DMA error, and the driver
looped forever trying to communicate with the card.

Joe