Re: dev.bce.X.com_no_buffers increasing and packet loss

From: Ian FREISLICH <ianf_at_clue.co.za>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 23:16:41 +0200
Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Frankly, I have no idea how to explain the
> issue given that you have no heavy load.

How many cores would be involved in handling the traffic and runnig
PF rules on this machine?  There are 4x
CPU: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8354 (2194.51-MHz K8-class CPU)
In this server.  I'm also using carp extensively.

> I have a bce(4) patch which fixes a couple of bus_dma(9) issues as
> well as fixing some minor bugs. However I don't know whether the
> patch can fix the RX issue you're suffering from. Anyway, would you
> give it try the patch at the following URL?
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/bce/bce.20100305.diff
> The patch was generated against CURRENT and you may see a message
> like "Disabling COAL_NOW timedout!" during interface up. You can
> ignore that message.

Thanks.  I'll give the patch a go on Monday when there are people
nearby if something goes wrong during the boot.  I don't want to
loose the redundancy over the week end.

Otherwise, is there another interface chip we can try?  It's got
an igb(4) quad port in there as well, but the performance is worse
on that chip than the bce(4) interface.  It's also riddled with
vlan and other hardware offload bugs.  I had good success in the
past with em(4), but it looks like igb is the PCI-e version.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich