Re: propose: all arch move into a separate dir

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 21:27:18 -0800
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:16:41AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> I think you misunderstand. Some of us old-timers have been having this
> discussion repeatedly for well over ten years. It always ends up the same
> way - a re-org might make the source tree marginally prettier but the
> consequences for long-term maintenance and supporting downstream
> contributors outweigh any possible benefit. Having the same conversation
> every two years with the same outcome gets annoying.

To be fair - two years ago we were not using a source control system that
understood moves within the repository.

To do this two years ago, we had to make a choice between three poor
paths of how to do CVS moves - repo copy (breaks date-based checkout),
delete-add pairs (looses history), or copy the entire repository move
files and use new repo for new releases and existing repo for old
releases.

Juniper now also uses Subversion - so with sufficient warning and planning,
Juniper could consume a move of the CPU directories moving under arch/.

Juniper also had a CVS based tree reorg 1.5 years go - taking the third
path above.

Please don't use Juniper as an reason to not move forward with this
change.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)