Re: Increasing MAXPHYS

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:49:28 +0100
Quoting Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org> (from Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:17:33 -0600):

> code was actually taking advantage of the larger I/O's.  The
> improvement really
> depends on the workload, of course, and I wouldn't expect it to be noticeable
> for most people unless they're running something like a media server.

I don't think this is limited to media servers, think about situations
where you process a large amount of data seuqntially... (seuqntial
access case in a big data-warehouse scenario or a 3D render farm which
get's the huge amount of data from a shared resource ("how many
render-clients can I support at the same time with my disk
infrastructure"-scenario) or some of the bigtable/nosql stuff which
seems to be more and more popular at some sites). There are enough
situations where sequential file access is the key performance metric
so that I wouldn't say that only media servers depend upon large
sequential I/O's.

Bye,
Alexander.

--