Re: wpa_supplicant, Atheros AR9285 and FreeBSD 8.0 issue -> wpa_supplicant hangs

From: Eugene Dzhurinsky <bofh_at_redwerk.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 23:12:00 +0200
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 02:20:15PM +0200, Eugene Dzhurinsky wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:26:39PM +0200, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
>
> I realized that it fails after group rekeying completes. If is set rekeying to
> occur in 30 minutes on AP host - for 30 minutes I am not getting any issue.
>
> With my DLink WiFi USB stick powered by if_rum driver such problem does not
> appear.
>
> If I should provide some additional information to help someone understand and
> fix this issue - please let me know :)

Finally I was able to find out the case which makes my wifi to stop working.
The problem is easily reproducible if second laptop is associated with AP.

My AP configuration (PC with FreeBSD 7.2) is listed below:

interface=ral0
debug=2
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ssid=freebsdap
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=*************
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_group_rekey=1800
wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP

local wpa_supplicant.conf is like below:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
fast_reauth=0
eapol_version=2
network={
    ssid="freebsdap"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    auth_alg=OPEN
    psk="*************"
    scan_ssid=1
}

My primary laptop is ASUS K40IN with wifi card on AR9285 chipset, another
laptop is ASUS K40IJ with wifi card on AR9285 chipset too.

And once second laptop gets associated with AP - my one stops to recognize
wifi connection. But it's still listed as associated in ifconfig output. And

wpa_cli reassociate

doesn't solve the problem - I have to restart wpa_supplicant.

Does this make any sense? Should I submit PR or there is some
misconfiguration?

--
Eugene N Dzhurinsky