Re: Unable to establish HE gif0 tunnel

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 18:54:24 -0700
Before I forget, I can't find the key that you signed this message with
on any key servers; FYI.

On 05/03/10 07:16, Mark Atkinson wrote:
> I updated a border gateway yesterday from a Feb 23 kernel to a May 2
> version kernel/world,

There have been numerous changes to IPv6 related stuff, both in the code
and in the rc.d configuration. Please make sure that your kernel, world,
AND /etc are all up to date.

> and lost my connectivity to my gif0 HE tunnel.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

> I've been using the following in /etc/rc.conf successfully for some time
> to establish the tunnel:
>
> # Hurricane Electric v6 tunnel
> ipv6_enable="YES"

FYI, this is now (basically) a no-op, you should be able to remove it
safely.

> gif_interfaces="gif0"
> gifconfig_gif0="[MY V4 ADDRESS] [HE V4 ADDRESS]"
> ifconfig_gif0="inet6 [MY V6 ENDPOINT] [HE V6 ENDPOINT] prefixlen 128"
> ipv6_defaultrouter="[HE V6 ENDPOINT]"
>
> # v6 gateway
> ipv6_gateway_enable="YES"
> ipv6_network_interfaces="internal"
> ipv6_prefix_internal="[MY V6 /64 prefix]
> rtadvd_interfaces="internal"
>
> Two problems:
>
> * That seems to configure the tunnel, but it appears as 'tentative'.

Do this: ifconfig gif0 -ifdisabled

That should fix the problem with the tunnel. If it does, try changing
ifconfig_gif0 to ifconfig_gif0_ipv6 in rc.conf and let me know if that
fixes it for you.

> * the v6 EUI64 address on interface internal is not assigned as before

That was my fault, I just committed the fix in r207592. Sorry for the
hassle.

hth,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads