Re: ports and PBIs

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 00:39:26 -0700
On May 5, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Reinhard Haller wrote:

> Am 04.05.2010 20:40, schrieb Julian Elischer:
>>

>>> To achieve this goal we get another ports management application and
>>> hope it handles also the non trivial tasks of the non simple apps.
>>
>> there is a PBI helper app. but PBIs are actually executables with the
>> installation app built in.
>
> portupgrade PBIapp should work?

I think it's cowsay, not portupgrade, but yes... using multiple tools would be required AFAIK, because they work at different abstraction levels.

>>> If the PBIs come with all libraries and resources we get even more
>>> problems with multiple db installations not less.
>>
>> not that's the whole point.  The app has it's own linraries HIDDEN
>> within itself.
>> it can not interfere with other apps.
>> (except in a port-number manner) but generally
>> apps for which PBIs are good do not do that sort of thing.

Well, I'm sure there are other conflicts, but that is most likely the most prevalent issue. Any kind of resource contention where only one of any given resource that isn't timeshareable is available would be an issue, or where other potential issues may be like hardcoded paths, defaults, etc.

> Speaking about db installations we end up (worst case) with imcompatible
> files.

Thanks,
-Garrett