Re: unzip in basesystem.

From: Rob Farmer <rfarmer_at_predatorlabs.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 03:25:39 -0700
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM, David DEMELIER <demelier.david_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/5/5 David DEMELIER <demelier.david_at_gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that unzip came into basesystem in src/usr.bin/unzip/. To
>> prevent port installing the ports/archivers/unzip one, I propose to
>> add this in bsd.port.mk

Unfortunately there are some problems with the base system unzip that
make it preferable to use the port. From the commit log for
bsd.port.mk:

  9-CURRENT introduced unzip command to the base system.  Unfortunately it is
  not fully compatible with the archivers/unzip implementation and non-trivial
  amount of ports fail to build when using it.  Thus we will keep using
  archivers/unzip for unzipping source in Ports Collection until someone
  volunteer to fix all individual ports.  Two most common problems with base
  unzip are:
  * extracting files without +x flag (some ports rely to execute unzipped
    configure scripts, for example)
  * different semantics of CR/LF conversion

  Error logs of failed port builds with in-base unzip can be made available on
  request to portmgr_at_.

With hat:	portmgr

--
Rob Farmer