Re: Recent sys/vm/ changes and nvidia-driver

From: Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 21:50:31 -0500
On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Kip Macy <kip.macy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Brandon Gooch
> <jamesbrandongooch_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What performance differences, if any, can we expect on uniprocessors
>>> from the vm page lock-related changes? Kip's original post on -arch
>>> mentioned some performance improvements and no significant
>>> regressions, but on a dual 4-core machine.
>>
>> Alan (or Kip): Is there a document available that describes the work
>> being done on the VM system?
>>
>> I would like to -- or like make and attempt to -- read such a document...
>>
>> Hey b. f., to which post on -arch are you referring?
>
> there is no document. The basic idea is straightforward, but there are
> some unpleasant edges to cope with.
>
> http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_message.php?list=freebsd-arch&id=3155260&thread=no

Thanks for the link, surprisingly, I think I "get it" and it does
actually make sense to me :)

Is there a final "target state" regarding the work and/or a time-frame
for completion? Perhaps a "heads-up" e-mail to the freebsd-current
mailing list when the first round of commits have settled in? I'm
wondering, due to the Nvidia issue stated in this thread, as well as
panics I'm seeing using VirtualBox on my computer running HEAD.

Thank you so much for taking on this task, all of you, Kip, Alan, and
Jeff too -- even though I don't understand all of it, or know about
all of the work that goes in to get it done, we all appreciate and
benefit from the end result: a faster and better FreeBSD.

-Brandon