kgdb unuseable with cores on current (for some people)

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 00:55:35 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

As was revealed in a recent thread here [1], several people have been
unable to use kgdb on coredumps for the past few months (but possibly not
everyone).

I am one of those affected, and have narrowed the breakage with a binary
search to between SVN revisions 202883 and 202954 (that is, Jan 23 1200h
and Jan 25 0000h).  Looking at the changes, alc's revision 202897 and
attilio's revision 202933 look to be the most plausible culprits in terms
of what they touched.  I will continue with my bisection, but with only 36
revisions in play, it is probably worth looking for the bug in parallel
with the bisection.

To recall, this manifests itself as kgdb printing the following on
startup:
Cannot access memory at address 0xffffff0127ffffe0

'bt' seems to think that it is on a NULL stack pointer (and fails), and
attempting to set a different current process/thread using the 'proc' or
'thread' commands errors with "invalid [p|t]id".  However, I can walk the
process list starting from allproc ....

Looking at kgdb/kthr.c , the kgdb troubles would seem to stem from
static struct kthr *first failing to get properly initialized, as the
'proc' command searches starting from that pointer.  It's not immediately
clear to me where in kgdb_thr_init() it is failing, though --- I see none
of the warning messages from its error cases.

If no one has thoughts on a possible cause, I guess I can start
instrumenting kgdb to locate its failure, but help would be appreciated.

Since this may be machine- and/or configuration-dependent, I have posted a
dmesg and pciconf output here [2]; it's an amd64 machine with a Core2 Duo
(T9400).

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk

[1]