Re: [mini headsup] updating from 7.x to -CURRENT after lzma import

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 11:36:29 -0700
Xin LI wrote:
> The recent lzma import has enabled libarchive's lzma support.  However,
> it have come to our attention that building -HEAD on earlier FreeBSD
> versions (specifically, 7.x after 700044 through 8.x before 800022) have
> been broken.
>
> The reason behind this is that 'make buildworld' will build a new ar(1)
> binary which links to libarchive, causing build to break on these systems.

The following patch partially fixes this problem by just
disabling all compression support in ar.  (There's definitely
no gain in compressing static libraries unless ld can
read them. ;-)

I don't think this totally fixes the problem.  I'd
appreciate if someone could try this and let me
know how far you get.

Tim