Re: AppleTalk status

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:35:13 +0200
Am 25.05.2010 um 13:41 schrieb Daniel O'Connor:

> On 25/05/2010, at 20:55, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>> I'm working on updating net/netatalk to version 2.1 (or 2.1.1 when that comes out the next couple of days), and I'm wondering what state AppleTalk support is in these days.  Is anybody still using it, or would now be the time to make all AppleTalk support in that port optional, and just focus on the file server component?
>>
>> I haven't used AppleTalk for at least eight years now, and I don't quite see which setting it still would be used in nowadays...
>
> I use it so I can back my Macbook Pro to my FreeBSD server on a ZFS partition..
> (But that is all)

You're using the sys/netatalk AppleTalk protocol for that, or TCP?  The netatalk port's afpd (Apple File Protocol daemon) can speak AFP over both DDP/ASP and TCP, and I'll keep afpd working over TCP of course.  I'm talking about disabling AppleTalk protocol support.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811