GPT on amd64 and boot managers

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi_at_solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:49:44 +0200
Good day,

Yesterday I finally changed my FreeBSD disk to use GPT instead of a traditional MBR, but I hadn't realised that the FreeBSD boot manager doesn't understand GPT partitions (my CURRENT is from early January, if that matters).
I used to have that disk set up in the BIOS as the preferred boot disk and the boot manager on it allowed me to boot one of the other disks containing Windows 7 [1].

I googled around and noticed that other people with this problem were told to use Grub as a boot manager, but trying to install that from ports I found out that Grub is only for x86, while I run amd64.

So in short, I can't use the FreeBSD boot manager as I have my disk partitioned with GPT, and I can't use Grub as it's not compatible with amd64, yet I do want a boot manager. How do I solve this?

Currently I have to choose which OS to boot by changing the boot sequence of my disks in the BIOS - not very convenient.

[1] I didn't put a boot manager on the Windows disk on purpose, as Microsoft overwrites it with every reinstall anyway.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:930,4bfe323010414002918410!