Re: GPT on amd64 and boot managers

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi_at_solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:55:23 +0200
On 27 May 2010, at 12:02, Michael Reifenberger wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2010, Alban Hertroys wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> Yesterday I finally changed my FreeBSD disk to use GPT instead of a traditional MBR, but I hadn't realised that the FreeBSD boot manager doesn't understand GPT partitions (my CURRENT is from early January, if that matters).
>> I used to have that disk set up in the BIOS as the preferred boot disk and the boot manager on it allowed me to boot one of the other disks containing Windows 7 [1].
>>

> FreeBSD boots just fine from GPT.
> See the examples section of gpart(8).

You appear to have missed the point; I was talking about the boot manager - the thing that lets you choose which OS to boot, not the boot loader.

I can boot FreeBSD just fine off GPT, but I have to select in the BIOS whether I want to boot FreeBSD or Windows (by means of changing the boot sequence). A working boot manager would be so much more convenient for that.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:930,4bfe4fa210412299192489!