Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 02:49:35 -0500
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Roman Divacky <rdivacky_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> hi,
>
> ClangBSD was updated to LLVM/clang revision 104832 which is what we aim to import
> into HEAD in roughly a week. We would like the initial import to be as painless
> as possible and therefore we ask you to test ClangBSD to assure that the revision
> we are importing does not have some really embarassing bugs.
>
> How to do it (on i386 and amd64):
>
> 0) install fresh devel/llvm-devel port
>
> 1) svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/clangbsd src
>
> 2) echo NO_WERROR= >> /etc/src.conf ; echo WERROR= >> /etc/src.conf
>
> 3) cd src && make buildworld
>
> 4) make installworld DESTDIR=/usr/clangbsd
>
> 5) (optional) try to build kernel with clang and boot it
>
>        5.1) cd /sys/{arch}/conf
>        5.2) config YOUR_KERNEL
>        5.3) setenv CC clang in tcsh or export CC=clang in bash
>        5.4) cd ../compile/YOUR_KERNEL
>        5.5) make && make install
>
> please make sure that it builds (on amd64/i386) and that the resulting world
> is runnable. ie. try to chroot into it and "do stuff". ie.
>
>        chroot /clangbsd /bin/tcsh
>
>        ... stuff ...
>

> there's a wiki page on this effort: http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang
>
> please report back any problems/success to me and/or this mailing list.
>
> thank you for your testing!
>
> Roman Divacky on behalf of the ClangBSD team

I'm running on a "full" ClangBSD system (world and kernel), and I've
had no issues for the past couple of days. I've had the machine
working nearly constantly -- building new and updating installed
ports, running several ezjails (PostgreSQL, Apache 2.2, etc...), and
generally using/abusing my computer by watching Flash video on the
bsdconferences channel on YouTube...

So, what exactly should we expect, if anything, to break? :)

Is there anything more useful than an "it works" type of feedback that
a novice user like myself could provide?

And...

A Little Message To the ClangBSD Team:

As little more than a novice user, I realize that I don't have the
full picture of what moving from GCC to clang/llvm means to FreeBSD. I
don't have enough experience with either compiler technology or the
FreeBSD project to have a lot to say in any discussion or dialog
regarding the decisions to come. But I do trust the FreeBSD project as
a whole -- the technology and the people involved -- and it seems that
this is a mandatory step in order to continue to to enhance FreeBSD.

So thank you to the ClangBSD team for making awesome progress. It
makes me incredibly happy to see all those involved with ClangBSD,
especially Roman, stand up and steer FreeBSD toward the future.

Looking forward to it,

-Brandon