Re: laptop Acer Aspire One D250 / snd_hda(4) && internal mic not recording

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 00:46:50 +0200
Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the above modell running 9-CURRENT, but can't get the build-in
> mic recording, only the jack for the mic in the headset records fine in
> Skype;
>
> here are the output of /dev/sndstat and mixer(1):
>
> $ cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC272 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec) default
> pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC272 PCM #1 Analog> (rec)
>
> $ mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  66:66
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  40:40
> Mixer mic      is currently set to  70:70
> Mixer mix      is currently set to  74:74
> Mixer rec      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer igain    is currently set to  57:57
> Mixer ogain    is currently set to  65:65
> Recording source: mic
>
> mixer(1) let me set for recoding only 'mic' or 'rec'. I'm attaching as
> well the output of verbose messages grep'ed for pcm and hdac.

Your CODEC configured to provide built-in microphone on separate device
pcm1. You may record from there (Skype allows to choose device) or
reconfigure CODEC using hints.

> Btw: Is there some tutorial for the settings mentioned in snd_hda(4), I
> don't understand the man page without more background info :-(

HDA and UAA specifications, but they are rather large.

I have small presentation from KyivBSD conference, but it is in Russian:
http://ru.kyivbsd.org.ua/arhiv/2010/motin.HDA.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

> Btw II: Is there some test recording software that let me just record
> from /dev/dspX and play it back (to not use Skype for such tests)?

dd? :) Also audio/rawrec.

--
Alexander Motin