Re: Files under src/ not used for building world

From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 21:42:27 -0700
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_spoerlein.net> wrote:
> Hey folks, not sure why, but I had a stab at looking which files were
> actually read during building world.
>
> Method went something like this:
>
> (turn on atime)
> # find . -exec touch {} +
> # sleep 2; touch timestamp
> # make buildworld buildkernel installworld installkernel (this is on amd64)
> # make universe
> # make distribution DESTDIR=/foo
> # mergemaster (I think this is redundant)
> # find . -name .svn -prune -or -not -anewer timestamp
>
> Please note that I skipped 'make release' as I don't know all the
> parameters off-hand.
>
> The list of files (tools/ removed) can be seen at
> https://www.spoerlein.net/pub/untouched_files
>
> Here are some curiosities (cddl/, gnu/, contrib/, and crypto/ skipped):
>
> bin/sh/bltin/echo.1

I'd talk to jilles_at_ (weird thing is that this is installed on my machine).

> lib/libarchive/archive_crc32.h
> lib/libarchive/libarchive_internals.3

I'd talk to kientzle_at_.

> lib/libautofs/Makefile
> lib/libautofs/libautofs.3
> lib/libautofs/libautofs.c
> lib/libautofs/libautofs.h

Missing from lib/Makefile (hmmm...).

> lib/libc/sys/kse.2

Shouldn't kse be yanked?

> lib/libkse/*   # dito

Same as above.

> sbin/bsdlabel/bsdlabel.5 # eh?

Not sure why but this was commented out (see the Makefile).

> sbin/mount/getmntopts.3

It would be nice if this was installed too.

> sbin/mount_autofs/Makefile
> sbin/mount_autofs/mount_autofs.8
> sbin/mount_autofs/mount_autofs.c
> sbin/mount_ext2fs/Makefile
> sbin/mount_ext2fs/mount_ext2fs.8
> sbin/mount_ext2fs/mount_ext2fs.c
> sbin/mount_hpfs/Makefile
> sbin/mount_hpfs/mount_hpfs.8
> sbin/mount_hpfs/mount_hpfs.c
> sbin/mount_reiserfs/Makefile
> sbin/mount_reiserfs/mount_reiserfs.8
> sbin/mount_reiserfs/mount_reiserfs.c
> sbin/mount_std/Makefile
> sbin/mount_std/mount_std.8
> sbin/mount_std/mount_std.c

Not sure about the above items.

> usr.bin/cpio/test/*     # move to tools/regression?

Seems like a legitimate request.

> usr.bin/setchannel/Makefile
> usr.bin/setchannel/setchannel.1
> usr.bin/setchannel/setchannel.c

Not included in usr.bin/Makefile .

> usr.sbin/gpioctl        # wtf? my system has MK_GPIO=no set?

Unless you say WITH_GPIO, it defaults to WITHOUT_GPIO (according to
what I'm reading from bsd.own.mk).

> I haven't looked too closely (ie., not at all) at these cases. Please
> discuss and happy browsing the list!

Thanks!
-Garrett