Re: www/chromium crashing whole system

From: Alexander Best <arundel_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:16:41 +0000
On Tue Nov 16 10, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2010, at 22:19, Alexander Best wrote:
>
> > thanks for all your help. i've recently switched to chromium 6.0.472.63
> > and so far my computer has been very stable.
> >
> > if i experience more lock ups i'll let you know and try to figure out a way to
> > gain access to some more debugging data.
>
> I'd prefer we try to figure out why your system was crashing now -- the kernel bug has not gone away just because Chromium is no longer triggering it. Working around the bug means someone else gets to run into it later -- perhaps when it's 9.0-RELEASE rather than 9-CURRENT...

i'm really sorry, but this is a problem ~ 90% of desktop users have:

1) we only have 1 computer
2) we can't access our computer via some other box via ssh or something
3) we don't have serial cables or firewire cables

so it seems in this situation a complete deadlock *cannot* be analyzed. the
idea of dumping the memory to a usb stick after a hard reboot thus seems so
attractive to users like me.

still the question is: how can we use such a complete memory dump? i don't
think it's as easy as loading it into kdb, is it?

cheers.
alex

--
a13x