Re: Testing /dev/fido ?

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:02:17 +0100
On 19 November 2010 01:56, Sean Bruno <seanbru_at_yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 13:17 -0800, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> I have an IPMI-enabled server with BMC watchdog, and if I understand it
>> correctly, /dev/fido will be attached as the result of loading ipmi.ko.
>>
>> Is there some easy way to test if everything works?
>
> I *think* that if you panic the box to the debugger, that should put the
> machine into a state where the watchdog will fire right?

Heh, unfortunately it seems to not work at all, in the sense that the
OS (i have watchdogd running!) apparently doesn't communicate to IPMI
that it's alive and IPMI resets the system out of the blue when that
feature is enabled.

Any ideas where to dig for problems? I have ipmi.ko loaded and
watchdogd started - is there something else I should do?

dmesg ipmi messages are:

> dmesg |grep ipmi
ipmi0: <IPMI System Interface> on isa0
ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca2 alignment 0x1 on isa
ipmi0: IPMI device rev. 1, firmware rev. 2.2, version 2.0
ipmi0: Number of channels 2
ipmi0: Attached watchdog