Re: tmpfs out of space (ZFS related?)

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:59:34 +0100
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:34:53AM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 11/22/10 00:28, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>
> >Find way to reproduce it 100%.
>
> The way I described it can be used to reproduce the problem 100%.
> Detailed instructions for a test case would be something like this:
>
> 0) configure a system with tmpfs for /tmp
> 1) install PostgreSQL 9.0, use a ZFS file system for the database
> 2) install and use pgbench to initialize a database as large as
> physical memory (i.e. it will blow away all caches)
> 3) run pgbench with -c of around 10 or so, let it run for 5 minutes or so
> 4) stop PostgreSQL, observe reported free memory statistics etc.

I have seen the same issue, with tmpfs reporting no space.

I can see it happen regularly when I have big virtualbox machines
running which take most of the physical mem.

Here I have seen it on an 8GB machine with al ZFS when running 3-4 VMs
taking 1 or 2 GBs each,(cumulatively taking around 7).

I imagine this is even easier to trigger on machine with less RAM.

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>