Re: sound config problem

From: Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:27:49 +0200
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM, AN <andy_at_neu.net> wrote:

> What is the status of sound on 9-current?  I am having a problem getting
> sound to work.  I have snd_hda_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf.  When I try
> to configure sounds in Gnome, by going to System menu -> preferences ->
> sound, a small window opens saying "waiting for sound system to respond"
> then nothing happens.  This system worked perfectly with sound under
> 8-stable.  Any help fixing this would be appreciated.  Below is relevant
> parts of verbose dmesg.  If I can provide more info to troubleshoot this
> please let me know.
>
> tia

(info cut for brevity)

Just as a starter, does it work at all? That is, do you have a
/dev/dsp? Do simple OSS programs work? (mpg123 is a nice minimal test;
mplayer is fine.)
There's always a chance of the problem being on the gnome side of
things, so it just seems sensible to start with the really simple
things. Apologies if you've done this already. :)

--
Daniel Nebdal