Re: Issues with Jails/Routes/FIBs

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:46:54 -0800
On 11/28/10 7:58 PM, Kevin Mai wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> Thanks for your email, alternate fib was running, it was just me logging in using jexec only -.-"
>

> Besides that, I'm running 8.1 RELEASE, but haven't seen to much information about jails in 8.x and VIMAGE..

if you are using 8 you really should be addressing either  net_at_ or
stable_at_ rather than current.

if you compile the kernel with options VIMAGE you get the option to
create each jail with a completely
separate network stack. That includes with a completely differnet
routing table and completely
separate interfaces.

The ifconfig command has a new vnet option that allows you to assign
an exisiting interface into a jail
for its exclusive use and the set fib command gives completely
different sets of fibs for
each jail.

It's not very well supported yet in the rc scripts as far as I know
and is pretty experimental,
but it's getting more stable with time and may do exactly what you want.

some examples may be found at:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/examples/netgraph/virtual.chain
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/examples/netgraph/virtual.lan

as well, as looking at the jail and ifconfig man pages and looking up
"vimage" on the net.