Re: Should green_saver.ko shut off a laptop's backlight?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:14:16 -0500
On Monday, November 29, 2010 4:10:02 pm Doug Barton wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 07:09, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> It's never worked for me either and this has been around awhile.
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114928&cat=
> >
> > green_saver just ask's your video card's BIOS to shut the screen off.  If the
> > BIOS doesn't turn off the backlight, that is the BIOS's problem, not
> > something we can fix.
>
> Ok, so does the attached seem reasonable?

I would say 'If the monitor and the video card's BIOS support it' because
both things have to be true for green_saver to work.  and/or implies that
only one has to be true.  I'm not sure the second paragraph is truly needed
since I've seen it work fine with LCD's on other laptops and other external
monitors as well.  I think simply adding the text about the video card's
BIOS is sufficient (and a definite improvement).

--
John Baldwin