Re: Hang near end of kernel probes since r213267 (likely earlier)

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:38:59 -0700
On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 08:56:13PM -0500, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> > Any ideas on what mught be causing CURRENT to hang -- sometimes
> > -- given that it appears to involve the Modular Bay (or the specific
> > device that is in the bay during the hang)?
> >

> If you haven't already, it may be worth trying 'options ATA_CAM' in
> your kernel config.

Well, I hadn't, so I tried it.  And since I had read the note:

# ATA_CAM:              Turn ata(4) subsystem controller drivers into cam(4)
#                       interface modules. This deprecates all ata(4)
#                       peripheral device drivers (atadisk, ataraid, atapicd,
#                       atapifd, atapist, atapicam) and all user-level APIs.
#                       cam(4) drivers and APIs will be connected instead.

I had an idea that /etc/fstab would need a global edit (though I
didn't know what device would be used).

Attempting a single-user mode boot clarified that for me:

	:s/ad4/ada0/

Fortunately, I'm in the habit of keeping more than one bootable slice
around, so I was able to accomplish that.

And -- probably more important for this discussion -- I was unable to
re-create the failing condition: the machine booted Just Fine every
time I tried it, whether the CD/DVD drive was inserted or not.

Now, this seems a bit more like a circumvention or diagnostic aid
(to me) than an actual solution -- or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.