Re: Hang near end of kernel probes since r213267 (likely earlier)

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:08:38 -0700
On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 08:56:13PM -0500, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM, David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 04:30:01PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> >> I found the disabling the "Module Bay" appears to avoid the hang --
> >> reliably.
> >>
> >> That appears to be the minimally-invasive change necessary to avoid the
> >> hang.
> >
> > Until I realized what was in the Modular Bay: the CD/CVD reader/burner.
> >
> > So I tried a variation on the theme:  I left all the devices enabled,
> > but I physically removed the device from the bay before booting -- and
> > was unable to get it to fail.
> >
> > And -- just now -- I disabled the channel (via atacontrol(8)), inserted
> > the drive, and enabled the channel:

> If you haven't already, it may be worth trying 'options ATA_CAM' in
> your kernel config.

As an illustration of the expression "a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing," I relay the results of a recent experiment.

The hardware on the laptop is AHCI-capable; after reading a bit (and
recalling that fact about the hardware), then noting that my kernel
config didn't include "device ahci", I tried loading ahci via
/boot/loader.conf.

I was pleased to note that the same device names were use as with
ATA_CAM (disk drive was /dev/ada0), so no further change was needed to
fstab.

More to the point, I rebooted the machine at least 10 times in
succession, and (again, so far!) was unable to re-create the "hang".

I am still somewhat concerned that there may be a rather nasty issue
with order-of-operations -- at least, in some cases -- and I'm quite
willing to help identify the problem and test fixes.

But so far, it *appears* that letting the ahci(4) driver attach may
avoid the problem.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.