Re: Move banner to games

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:44:33 -0700
In message <20101007154058.E68D71CC41_at_ptavv.es.net>, "Kevin Oberman" writes:
> > Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 16:49:43 +0200
> > From: Daniel Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org

> e:

> > > It's been in the base for decades. People used it to print banners on
> > > reports, before laser and  ink jet printers were around, when tractor fee
> > > printers ruled. Banner was more than just a game. People used it for
> > > production work. I suppose you could still use it for its intended purpos
> > > today however with the graphical tools we have today it's a little archai
> c.
> > > Having said that, it doesn't take up a lot of space and should probably
> > > remain where it is.
> > >
> > > BTW, I'm of the age where I did use it and tools like it (on the IBM
> > > mainframe) for real work.
> >
> > ah memories, I had the walls of my office covered with pi with some very lo
> ng
> > precision :-)
>
> I'm so sorry.
>
> I'm more prone to remember the ASCII rendering of the artwork of rather
> long images from a popular magazine which would certainly (and properly)
> be unacceptble in the workplace today. :-)

I can recall my first exposure to ASCII art. I was 17 in Computing Science
class in high school. A friend had brought in some artwork his brother had
printed on the mainframe at the University of Alberta. The source was a
Fortran program with a huge number of punched cards as input. It certainly
wouldn't be accepted anywhere here either.

What I found quite intriguing was the ASCII art produced by arcane single
line APL programs. You could pack a lot of function into a very few bytes
of code.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>

			e**(i*pi)+1=0