Re:HEADS UP: device name checking on device registration

From: barbara <barbara.xxx1975_at_libero.it>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:02:01 +0200

> Since r213526 device names are checked on device registration. That is,
> if you call a make_dev*() function with an invalid device name, a panic
> will occur by default. For make_dev_credf(9) or make_dev_p(9) you can
> specify the MAKEDEV_CHECKNAME flag to get an error return instead of a
> panic.
>
> Invalid names are as follows:
>
> - empty name
> - names longer than SPECNAMELEN
> - names containing "." or ".." path component
> - names ending with '/'
> - already existing device names
>
> So, if you see a "bad si_name" panic you may have encountered a driver
> bug.
>
> Currently several GEOM classes (notably geom_label) allow to create
> devices with invalid names. Below is a link to a patch which converts
> g_dev_taste() to use make_dev_p() with MAKEDEV_CHECKNAME flag. It's not
> a complete solution and essentially changes the panic to a printf.
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~jh/patches/geom_dev-checkname.diff
>
> --
> Jaakko

Hi,
I faced that kind of panic today and now I'm able to boot again into CURRENT after applying the patch and rebuilding kernel.
The panic is caused by:
g_dev_taste(): make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=ext2fs//, error=22)
as I have a linux partition (I swear, it's for my mom!) on the same machine.
As I don't care about that partition (being ext4 I can't even mount it), is there any solution other then applying the patch after every csup?

Thanks
Barbara