Re: OpenSSL 1.0

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:49:05 -0700
> From: "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simonln_at_me.com>
> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:37:40 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> On 9 Oct 2010, at 11:37, Roubíček Zdeněk wrote:
>
> > On 8 Oct 2010, at 12:40, Fabien Thomas wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any plan to import OpenSSL 1.0 into the tree?
> > I would be also happy to see that coming as I have a problem using
> current openssl as ipv6 client for tests, though it is bsd v7.3.
>
> If you need a newer version of OpenSSL in FreeBSD 7 you should try the
> OpenSSL ports. FreeBSD 7 will probably get the latest 0.9.8 before
> FreeBSD 7.4, but it won't get OpenSSL 1.0 (and neither will FreeBSD 8
> for that matter).

The problem is API differences. I hit ports which work with the port but
fail with the base system and other ports that work with the base libssl
but fail with the port installed. As a result, I have stuck with the
base system. I've had to remove the port version a couple of times and
rebuild all of the ports that had linked to it. A real pain.

I understand why maintainers make some ports work with the old openssl in
the base, but other don't and that road leads to madness.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)