Re: CPU report in first line of "vmstat 1" is meaningless

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:11:42 -0500
In the last episode (Oct 18), Ed Maste said:
> The us/sy/id CPU usage numbers in the first line of vmstat are not useful,
> because they're calculated based on kern.cp_times since boot, and not a
> delta as are all subsequent lines.  If the system has been up long enough
> wrapping may come in to play, giving negative results.  For example, on
> one machine I see:

Maybe only blank it out on 32-bit machines?  It's a long, and a 64-bit
cp_time value essentially won't roll over (at 1 billion increments per
second it will roll over in 500 years; we currently increment 133 times per
second, I think).  If the value can be calculated accurately, it should be
printed.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com